Airbrush Tanning Tips for a Safe, Sunless Tan
Airbrush tanning is a fun, simple, and luxurious way to turn yourself into a golden goddess! At Makeup by Sheila, we want to make sure your airbrush tanning session leaves you with the results you desire. Follow our airbrush tanning tips below to make your next session a breeze, and don't forget to book your airbrush tanning appointment online! Our aim is to make all you Houston ladies glow!
Here are some of Sheila's tips on maximizing your airbrush tanning experience:
- Shower and Exfoliate - Use a body scrub to exfoliate your entire body before a tanning session ( Saint Ives ). Also, try to shave at least 8 hours before your session. Exfoliating your skin is extreamely important, exfoliating AFTER you rinse your hair and shave your legs will remove any alkaline residuals from soap and shaving creams. This will also help pH adjust your skin which will produce better results.
- Face- If you would like your face sprat tanned all makeup will need to be removed prior to your session, we recommend applying lip balm to your lips prior to tanning.
- Wear loose clothes and shoes - A sundress and sandals are good choices; you can wear your swim suit as well *NOTE YOU WILL HAVE TAN LINES*.
- Wait for about 9 to 12 hours after your tanning session before taking a shower - Enough time should be allocated for the DHA to take effect.
- Apply a good amount of moisturizer both in the morning and at night after your tanning experience (following the 8-12 hr, after application) - Well moisturized skin ensures a longer life for your airbrush tan.
- Come to your tanning session with clean and dry skin - Don’t apply any moisturizers, body oils,makeup, perfume, deodorant, moisturizer or lotion before going to your session. These substances can block and prevent the spray from making contact with your skin and have a reaction with the tanning solution.
- Sit on a towel or a piece of cloth after your tanning session - You should avoid sitting directly on your car seat, leather or furniture without covering with a fabric.
- A hot bath or the swimming pool can speed the exfoliation process and cause your tan to fade, so don’t take long baths or go for a swim - If you want to do these things, do them before exfoliating for your tanning session.
- Do not exercise or engage in strenuous activities that may cause you to sweat after your tanning session - Excessive perspiration has an affect the tanning process.
- Don’t use products that contain Alpha Hydroxy Acids - This substance accelerates the rate of exfoliation and will cause your tan to fade faster.
- To keep your tan alive, hydrate your skin with lotions or moisturizers in between tanning sessions. This can also help your tan fade at an even rate.
- Consult your physician before having a tanning session if you are pregnant - Bring a written certification from your physician stating his approval for the tanning salon to keep on file.
Keep your skin healthy by loading up on moisturizers - you can never go wrong with using a hydrating product! Remember, healthy skin is glowing skin, so keep your skin in the pink and away from harm. Try to stay out of direct sunlight, but if you can’t help but go out into the open, wear sunblock at all times. Try to use hats, and if possible, wear t-shirts – these clothing items also provide some degree of protection from the sun’s harmful rays. This is especially important here in Houston, where the sun and heat can be relentless!